Chiang Mai City Temples Tour - Chiang Mai Thailand
Chiang Mai Sightseeing
Chiang Mai City Temples Tour, Visit five of the most significant temple in Chiangmai.
Wat Suan DoK on Suthep Road was built in 1383. It was constructed in the gardens of Lanna Royal Residence. The rows of smaller White chedies contain the ashes of Chiangmai Royal family.
Wat Phra Singh is located in the center of the city at the intersection of Singharaj and Rajdamnern Road. The large chedi was built in 1345 by King Pha Yu to house the remains of his father King Kam Fu. A typical scripture repository is located at this temple as well. These repositories were designed to keep and protect the delicate sa or mullberry paper sheets used by monk and scribes to keep records and write down folklore. The high stucco-covered stone base of the repository protected the delicate scriptures from the rain, floods and pests. The walls of the chapel are covered with mural illustrating Lanna customs, dress, and scenes from daily life. The lovely Lai Kam chapel houses the revered Phra Singh Buddha image. Sadly, the head was stolen in 1922, and a reproduction is now seen.
Wat Chedi Luang on Prapokklao Road is the side of a formerly massive pagoda that was unfortunately destroyed in the great earthquake of 1545. The temple was originally constructed in 1401 by the orders of King Saeng Muang Ma. In 1454, reigning King Tilo-Garaj enlarged the chedi to a height of 86 meters. After the earthquake, the jedee lay in ruin until 1991, when it was reconstructed at a cost of several million Baht. The reconstructed chide was finished in 1992, and it is every as impressive as it was when it was first built.
Wat Jet Yot is situated on the superhighway off Huay Kaew Road, near the Chiangmai National Museum. Built in 1455 by King Tilokaraja, its name means "Seven Spires" - a description of a jedee's construction. It was copied from the Mahabodi Temple in Bodh Gaya, India, where the Buddha achieved enlightenment. The larger jedee contains the ashes of King Tilokaraja.
Wat Chiang Man is the oldest temple in Chiangmai. It is located within the walled city on Rajpakinai Road. King Mengrai allegedly lived here while the city of Chiangmai was constructed. Enshrined in Wat Chiang Man is a tiny crystal Buddha called Phra Seh-Taang Kamaneeee. It is thought to have the power to bring rain. Another image, called Phra Sila Khoa, reflects the fine workmanship of Indian craftsmen from thousand of years ago.